Vegetarian Nachos with Homemade Chips
Nachos are always good whether you have them simply with salsa and cheese, or whether you prefer to pile on the toppings. This recipe is ideal for vegetarians, and depending on portion size it makes a great appetizer, snack or main dish. The recipe serves 2 as a filling meal, or perhaps 4 as an appetizer. We are making our own chips for this recipe but if you are in a rush you can simply use a package of corn chips instead of making your own. You will see they are really easy to make though, so consider doing your own.
Although the ingredients may be tweaked if you prefer other toppings, we are using black beans, cheese, salsa verde, olives, tomato, onion, jalapeño, and cilantro. A little avocado is also nice on these. You will not miss the meat with all these colorful, tasty toppings. If you want to change them though, go for it. You can add any flavorful south of the border toppings. It is best to have some of the toppings on and then bake the nachos until the cheese melts, then add any toppings you do not need to cook (like the avocado and tomato).
This dish is from Coahuila, Mexico, and dates back to 1943. The original recipe was fried corn tortillas with sliced jalapeños and melted cheddar cheese. Today there are many variations. If it goes with chips, you can use it as a nachos topping. Chives, green onions, meat, garlic, pickles, pico de gallo, or refried beans can be added to the toppings, or you might prefer to use nacho cheese, Oaxaca cheese or any shredded cheese blend instead of the Mexican cheese blend. Feel free to add your own interpretation and twist to this dish, to make it perfect for your palate.
Our nachos recipe is ideal for sharing, so consider it for your Cinco de Mayo party or if you are having friends over for a birthday party or another gathering. Nachos are easy to make in bulk, and it is very rare to have anything other than an empty plate when you serve them, especially the homemade kind where you make your own chips. Once you have made your own nachos once you will want to make them again and again. They are such amazing comfort foot and any occasion is the ideal occasion for a homemade nachos recipe.
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1¼ cups canned black beans
- 3 oz shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 3 tablespoons canned salsa verde
- ⅓ cup sliced green or black olives
- 1 diced tomato
- ½ diced white onion
- ½ diced jalapeño
- ½ diced avocado (optional)
- Small handful roughly chopped cilantro leaves
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Sour cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray nonstick cooking spray over a baking sheet.
- Stack the tortillas then use a pizza cutter to cut them into triangles.
- Arrange these on the baking sheet in one layer and spray cooking spray over them.
- Grind over some salt and cook for 8 minutes or until crisp.
- Top with the olives, beans and cheese, then broil for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Add the onion, salsa, jalapeño, tomatoes, cilantro, and sour cream.
- Add some avocado too if using.
- Offer hot sauce on the side.
Whatever the occasion, you will find you cannot go wrong with nachos. Make your own using corn tortillas and nonstick cooking spray or, if you are pressed for time, simply open a package of corn chips. Next you need to decide which toppings to use – cheese is a given, and jalapeños really spice the nachos up, but what else are going to add? Well, how about black beans, olives, tomatoes, cilantro, and onion? Just imagine all that wonderful color, and the typical Mexican toppings on top of the melted cheese and of course the irresistible crunch of the chips.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119404 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117388 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34625 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30371 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24114 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23429 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17655 Views)