Vegetarian Tortilla Recipe with a Crisp Salad Filling
There are many types of tortilla recipes so it helps to define exactly what type of tortilla recipes we are looking at here. For example, a Spanish tortilla recipe is a combination of eggs and potatoes. The word “tortilla” is Spanish for omelet so a Spanish tortilla recipe would be an omelet containing diced potatoes and sometimes onion or bell pepper for crunch and color. The other kind of tortilla recipe refers to a roll up tortilla sandwiches recipe, which is what the following is. Tortillas, in this sense of the word, do make a nice change from bread so if you want a quick and easy lunch, but you are tired of bread, reach for a pack of tortillas, and make a tasty snack.
The following roll up tortilla sandwiches recipe is perfect for vegetarians. A creamy cheese and lime mixture is spread over the tortillas first, and then they are filled with lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and cucumber. Try to use the English telegraph-style cucumber for these, else just use what you can find. You might like to add some pickles or capers for saltiness too. This combination of tortillas, salad ingredients, fresh herbs, and cheese is nutritious and well balanced, which is exactly what you need if you want a light yet energizing lunch.
There are plenty of other tortilla recipes you can choose from if you fancy a meat or seafood filling, but this one is crisp, fresh, and very nice if you do not. You can use a different type of onion if you want, since the red onion is mainly used for color. Green onions also go well with the cheese and other salad ingredients in this tasty vegetarian tortilla wrap recipe.
Tortillas make a change from sliced bread and they are more forgiving of moist fillings too, getting less soggy than sliced bread, or at least lasting longer, making them a good option for taking to work. Wrap your prepared tortilla wrap tightly in foil or plastic wrap, and twist both ends to seal.
The following recipe can be tweaked however you wish, although we have provided a suggested filling which is very tasty and combines various flavors and textures for maximum appeal. You can put any filling in a tortilla, just like you can between 2 slices of bread, and just because tortillas are Mexican does not mean you are limited to a south of the border style filling either.
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup chopped lettuce
- 1 grated carrot
- 4 oz feta cheese
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- Minced zest from 1 lime
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 3 warmed tortillas
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Puree the cream cheese, feta, lime zest, sour cream, salt and black pepper until smooth in a food processor.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and fold in the mint and dill.
- Spread the cheese mixture over the tortillas, and then top them with the lettuce, carrot, tomatoes, cucumber, and onion.
- Roll each wrap in plastic wrap and chill them for half an hour, so the filling sets.
- Slice each wrap in half and serve.
This tortilla recipe is so simple to make. If you are making tortilla wraps for lunch, rather than to be sliced up for a party, you do not have to leave them in the refrigerator for half an hour. That is mainly so they will set in shape and not unravel when you cut them into halves, quarters or pinwheels. These are great for parties or buffets, incidentally, and you can slice them into one inch thick rounds. Make sure they are well chilled though (maybe give them a whole hour rather than half an hour in the refrigerator) so they hold their shape.
Leave a Reply
- Mexicali Black Bean Tacos with Two Meats May 5, 2016
- Mexicali Breakfast Burrito Egg and Avocado April 26, 2016
- Mexicali Broiled Sushi Tacos April 24, 2016
- Mexicali Smooth Guacamole in Glasses with Tomatoes April 23, 2016
- Mexicali Nachos with Beef and More April 22, 2016
- Mexicali Margarita Quesadilla April 17, 2016
- Mexicali Shredded Chicken Tacos with Fete Slaw April 16, 2016
- Mexicali Baja Street Tacos Carne Asada April 15, 2016
- Tex-Mex Vegetarian Harvest Quesadilla with Cheese April 14, 2016
- Tex-Mex Chicken and Pepper Fajitas April 13, 2016
- Home (119406 Views)
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (117392 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (63216 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (45764 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (34626 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (30373 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (24116 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (23430 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (18952 Views)
- Pollo Frito Receta – Mexican Pan Fried Chicken with Tomatoes (17659 Views)