mexican roast turkey
The typical American whose only exposure to Mexican food is through fast food chains or if they’re lucky, a local taqueria probably wouldn’t know it, but turkey is an important part of Mexican cuisine. Native to the Americas, these birds were one of the staples of Mexican cooking before the arrival of Europeans and they continue to be popular to this day.
There are a great many different Mexican turkey recipes, from tacos to soups, salads to casseroles – and of course, roast turkey recipes like this one. This is a recipe similar to what you might see served in northern Mexico (especially the state of Chihuahua) around the holidays.
There is one ingredient here which may not be terribly easy for American cooks to find – tejocote. This is the crabapple-like fruit of a tree in the hawthorn family (often called Mexican hawthorn). Until recently, the fruit was almost entirely unavailable in the US, but has now begun to be imported legally after years of being one of the most commonly smuggled items at the US-Mexico border. If you cannot find it, Granny Smith apple could be substituted, though the flavor is significantly different. Continue reading
- An Authentic Mexican Pico de Gallo Recipe (109964 Views)
- Home (98438 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Rice Recipe a Tasty Mexican Rice Side Dish (59176 Views)
- Chicken Cheese Enchilada Recipe (43923 Views)
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail with Avocado Salsa (32566 Views)
- Authentic Mexican Chicken Tacos (27494 Views)
- Recipe for Stuffed Burrito with Chicken (22061 Views)
- Papadzules Recipe (21797 Views)
- How to Make Flautas with Green Chili (17253 Views)
- Classic Mexican Flan (14737 Views)